Attractions and Things to Do In and Around Canton
There are a variety of attractions and things to do in Canton after flea market shopping at First Monday Trade Days.
- Canton Autumn Stroll Festival - held each October in downtown Canton. It's known for great food, live music, a sanctioned BBQ contest, fantastic vendors, fun kid’s events, and games. Visitors love the fashion show, local group presentations, and more, all on the beautiful downtown square.
- Canton Balloon Fest - two day annual event in July at the First Monday Grounds, hosted by the Canton Visitor Bureau. The festival has grown and now includes vendors of all kinds, great food, and art vendors showing off their works.
Family fun activities are abundant, with bounce houses, car shows and the very popular 5K glow run on Friday night. Each year the festival highlights great East Texas Music with non-stop music all weekend.
- Van Zandt County Fair and Rodeo - late March and early April. Livestock show, fair pageant, agriscience fair, horticulture events, arts & crafts show, rodeo and more!
- Splash Kingdom Water Park - Just to the west of Canton on I-20, a great place for family fun, especially on those hot Texas days!
- Yesterland Farm - Familes always enjoy visits year-round to this fun venue, at 15410 I-20. Events include BunnyPalooza, Fall Festival, Spooktacular Nights and Christmas Carnival.
- Shopping the quaint shops and boutiques around the downtown Canton square, year-round.
- Canton Visitor Information Center and The Canton Plaza Museum at 119 North Buffalo in downtown
- Downtown Farmer's Market - Every Saturday April - October
- Mill Creek Reservoir - 410 Arnold Paul Road - This lake includes bass, crappie, bream, catfish and once a year Texas Parks and Wildlife stocks a small pond connected to the larger lake with trout. There is also a boat ramp to launch from.
- Old City Lake - 987 Old Kaufman Road - Pier and bank fishing, swimming (no lifeguard on duty), picnic areas, playground, lighted tennis and volleyball courts, baseball and soccer fields.
- Buffalo Creek Motorcross Park
- Heritage Park Outdoor Museum - Founded in 1976 as a bicentennial ongoing project, Edgewood Heritage Park encompasses fourteen restored and furnished structures representing rural life in 1900 Van Zandt County.
- Blackwell House Museum - Step Inside Canton's oldest home and learn a bit of local history at this house, built in 1880 Dy H.R. and Nannie Jane Bartlett Blackwell. Open by appointment, at 314 First Monday Lane.
- Van Zandt County Veterans Memorial Plaza - honoring the men and women of the county who served our country. Two replica aircraft and other military equipment stand outside of a plaza of red bricks. some of which includes the names of service members. At the center is a statue that stands atop a five-sided platform that honors each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. Located at 1200 South Trade Days Boulevard.
- Van Zandt Country Club - For golfing enthusiasts, along with the Twin Lakes Golf Course and Garden Valley Golf Resort
- Ben Wheeler - East of Canton on FM 279 is this small, historic community known as the home of the Feral Hog Festival in the fall
- Edom - A few miles further east, at the intersection of FM 279 and FM 314. It's a lovely small community of restaurants, art galleries, shops, farms, retreats, B&Bs and more. Edom is also the home to spring and fall art shows well known in all of Texas.
More Scenes Around Canton
While visiting Canton and East Texas, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- East Texas Arboretum & Botanical Society provides over 100 acres of natural East Texas nature and beauty, in nearby Athens
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas
- Longview - historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Christmas festivities, Railroad Museum, more
- Lake Palestine - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, waterfront restaurants
- Grand Saline - north of I-20 on U.S. 80
- Jacksonville - to the south on U.S. 69
- Love's Lookout - beautiful 30-mile vista near Jacksonville
- Tyler - just to the east of Canton ... museums, hiking trails, shopping malls, restaurants, rose garden, and hotels
Splash Kingdom Waterpark
Marina on Lake Palestine ... starting point for boating, fishing, skiing and more water fun!